Thursday, January 1, 2009

Cassoulet -- Jacques Pepin

I make this often. It's easy and SO good! I make changes to it that I think are even better. Instead of adding water, add 1 qt whole tomatoes in the juice. I can my tomatoes, and use them, otherwise you can use bought canned. It make sit a little Soupier, which I really like. Or I have used chicken broth, both add a lot more flavor. trust me. It's so good.

30 MINUTE CASSOULET


Ingredients
Serves: 4-6

• 1 tablespoon good olive oil
• About 1 pound rolled shoulder ham (also called a daisy ham or Boston Butt), tough outer skin removed
• About 3/4 pound hot Italian sausages, cut into 3-inch pieces (about 6 pieces)
• 4 bratwurst sausages (about 1 pound)
• 1 cup diced (1/2 inch) whole button mushrooms (about 3 ounces)
• 3/4 cup diced (1/2-inch) onion
• 2 tablespoons crushed garlic (about 4 large cloves)
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 (15 1/2 ounces each) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed under warm running water
• 3/4 cup diced (1-inch) tomato (1 large plump tomato)
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley

For Serving
• Tabasco sauce
• Dijon-style mustard

Preparation Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the ham and Italian sausage.

Cover and cook over high heat for 7 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally.

Add the bratwurst, mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf. Mix well and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.

Add the beans, tomato, water, and pepper, bring back to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and boil gently for 5 minutes.

At serving time, discard the bay leaf, cut the ham into slices and the sausage pieces in half, and arrange the meat on a platter with the beans.

Sprinkle the parsley on top. Serve with the Tabasco and mustard.

You can watch a video of step by step at below link.
Recipe courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Company, ©2004 Jacques Pépin from Jacques Pépin: Fast Food My Way.

2 comments:

Fabric Fanatic said...

I am sooooo gonna make this! This is truly mid-west girl comfort food and I'm a mid-west girl.
Hey, I'm going to send you a copy of my cousin Jean's cranberry-jalapeno relish. I am not a fan of cranberries, but this stuff is so darned good I eat it straight up. LOL

Fabric Fanatic said...

I made these for a dinner party on Monday...my guests were impressed and now they think I'm a gor-may cook...lol. I gave you total credit, though, and sent them to your blog. I had never made the recipe before and I made the cassoulet along with your recipe for carmelized brussels sprouts for the first time and tried em out on company...lol. Thanks so much.