Monday, February 23, 2009

Onion chuntey


I sort of made this up as I went along. It's pretty yummy.

Red Onion Chutney

I took:
6 red onions & shredded them on my mandolin.
Add:
1/2 Cup olive oil
and over med. high heat, saute them about 20 minutes, they will start to turn brown
and caramelize, so stir often.

I then added, 3/4 cup sugar
and 1/4 agave.
( I always try to cut the amount of sugar with agave, since this was the first time on this it worked for me)

1 Cup red wine vinegar
1/4 balsamic vinegar

and let it cook until it was gooey.


I sterilized two pint mason jars, and filled them up with the onion chutney sauce.

And proceeded to eat one off with our turkey dinner... ;-)

You do not have to water can the two jars. Once you pour into the jars the sauce, put on lids, tighten and turn the jars upside down and let the heat seal the lids.

I let cool and put both in the fridge. Once opened, will last THREE months in the fridge. Donna Hay also has a similiar recipe, and that is what is listed there.

2 comments:

Fabric Fanatic said...

Do you then boil the fillecd jars like in canning? I am going to try this but may halve the ingredients. How long does it stay "good" once opened and refrigerated?

BUMBLE BEANS said...

see post edit. thanks! V